Tuesday, 31 March 2015

Burda Style 10/2014 #105, Long Sleeve Cowl Necked Dress

... aka as "Help, there's a tree growing out of my tummy!"


Pattern: Burda Style 10/2014 #105
Fabric: Jersey from Lewisham Market

I love this fabric and needed a simple pattern to show off the beautiful silhouettes, but I had quite a hard time figuring out how to place the fabric.  Any higher and I'd have tree shapes on my boobs, any lower and they'd be growing out of my nether regions.  On reflection, maybe a dress isn't quite the way to go.  I still have some random remnants which could conceivably make a nice vest.

The sewing pattern itself is super-easy to make up.  I had a bit of head-scratching when it came to attaching the shoulders and in the end used the Bronte Knit dress method of basting round the armholes.  I also used a facing strip at the back rather than the bias binding the pattern calls for.


Taking photos of yourself modelling a tight fitting dress does a lot for your posture!  A lot of tummy-sucking-in going on here:


Pleased to say that swayback is minimal, although still there:

My other head-scratching with this dress is the length.  I don't wear the kind of shoes to pull off an over-the-knee length look.  The knee-length is still rather eye-catching.  I have to admit though that I am hardly ever likely to actually wear this! But if it was a tunic, then I probably would.  But there's a voice inside saying "you can't hack off this beautiful fabric!"  So much for making more wearable items!  

I think I prefer it on the dressform than on me!



No comments:

Post a Comment